Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Autumn bike commuting

In the winter's-coming department, my coworker innocently asked me...

>>Came in one piece this morning on the bike ?

Actually, I came in many pieces:

  • 1 pair cycling shoes
  • 1 pair neoprene booties (mmm toasty feet!)
  • 1 pair socks
  • 1 cycling shorts
  • 1 commando pants (mmm toast knees)
  • 1 synthetic long-sleeve zip-T jersey
  • 1 floro-green cycling jacket (it just got it's annual wash!)
  • 1 pair full finger cycling gloves
  • 1 pair over gloves (mmm toasty fingers)
  • 1 velcro neck gaitor
  • 1 tuque
  • 1 helmet
  • 1 clear safety glasses (they make good cycling glasses for darkness)
  • 1 flashing front lite
  • 1 flashing rear light
  • 1 bike
  • 1 backpack
  • 1 lock
  • 1 badge
  • 1 set keys
  • 1 set assorted bike parts and tools
  • 1 set work clothes
  • Assorted lunch
  • 1 la Presse newspaper
  • 1 list of after-work to-do item
  • $1.55 for bran muffin - my reward for surviving the dark-season!

Every ride is an opportunity to reassess the clothing, and today I think I learned that +5 means two inner core layers, not one, although once the warmup phase is completed, I am not chilly. translation: additional fleece vest tomorrow.

It took a lot of years to figure all this out, and at the same time not end up looking look like the michelin man.

1 Comments:

At 4:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every ride is an opportunity to re-assess the amount of gear I bring... and it seems I always 'need' the exact same amount or more.

Cheers to cold weather cycling!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home