Why we like our northern Lanaudiere ride
There are many things go combine to make a bike ride into a great bike ride.
We like our St-Jean-de-Matha / Ste-Emilie-de-l'Energie / Ste-Beatrix ride because:
- good distance
- good hills
- The two long hills have good descents after the summit is reached
- good scenery
- A few good scenic lookouts, one has benches (northbound to ste-emilie)
- good roads (mostly)
- quiet roads
- 97 km from Mtl car distance, not so far
- undeveloped area (no tims, macDo, other corporate crap)
- the ride is made up of many short sections
- many options exist to increase ride distance a bit
- easy to abort - many places you can call it quits and get back to car
- Good descents
- No jerkin' around with flats until the hills finally arrive (first 20% hill
- at 4 minutes into the ride)
- The two major highways part of the ride have good paved shoulders.
- There's a raspberry farm at foot of one of the major climbs
- There's annual repairs/rebuilding to the roads of this ride
- You feel like a tour de france mountain stage survivor by ride's end (and not
- one of those front-of-the-pack guys)
Add it up and you see why we think this is one of the best rides around.