Saturday, August 07, 2010

Can't we all just get along?

Writing in La Presse, the triathlete Isabelle Turcotte speaks out about road safety (and road sharing) with a clear-headedness we find very refreshing.

Read it here in the original french, or here translated badly by the google.

Highly recommended.

Why are so many people trying (on purpose or not) to kill us cyclists?

And why are many of these people trying to kill us happen to be the other cyclists that we see doing crazy stuff every time we go for a ride? There's a right and a wrong side of the road to be riding your bike. Start with that, and get off the sidewalk too. Civisme starts with showing respect for other people.

1 Comments:

At 5:51 AM, Blogger sikkofant said...

I've been riding on the road my entire life. I can count the number of incidents that I have had with motorists, and its somewhere around zero.

Why is it so low? well, I know how to handle my bike, I know where my place on the road is, and when in doubt, I remember, irrespective of being right, a car outweighs me by a good 15x.

Most cyclists are clueless how to handle their bike. They wobble about, sit in way of other vehicles and generally have no idea where to be on the road.

I have a few suggestions: 1) learn how to cycle in a straight line. 2) Don't wear a headset, your ears are your best defense against other vehicles and you need to be alert.
3) Imagine you are invisible to cars at all times. If you cannot make eye contact with a driver in your path, don't assume you have right of way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home